CAG’s primary aim is that of protecting the consumer’s interest in all spheres of life. The Consumer Helpdesk at CAG is one of the most dynamic sections which interacts with the public on a daily basis through handling of consumer complaints. The helpdesk addresses specific problems of consumers handling over 1000 complaints in a year through telephonic queries, letters, emails etc. It takes up individual complaints and tries to settle them by adopting a conciliatory approach.
COUNSELLING STAGE – I
- Screening of complaints based on merits
- Complainants informed if they do or do not have a case and advised accordingly
- Genuine complaints move to the next stage
- Complainants are advised to:
• Write a letter to the Opposite Party (OP)
• Mark a copy to CAG
• Provide opportunity to the OP to solve the issue
- If there is no response, CAG pursues further action.
COUNSELLING STAGE -- II
- Document verification
- Notice/Phone call to the opposite party, with a view to settle the issue
- Advice to approach Consumer Forum for unsolved disputes
- Consumers guided in representing their grievances in Consumer Fora